Saturday, April 25, 2015

Is Passion a Learned Behavior?

I've been chipping away at "Bones Brigade: An Autobiography (2012)" for a few nights after I get home from client appointments and my wife goes to bed. I reflect on how these "children" (Tony Hawk, Lance Mountain, Steve Caballero, Rodney Mullen, etc.) excelled to become the highest level skateboarders of the time, all under the age of 18. My mind is blown that these youngsters pioneered every trick you see today, including the vert ollie, the flatland ollie and the McTwist.

I feel a close bond to this time in that 1) during those years, it was a toss-up between me going BMX or Skater (obviously I chose BMX) and 2) I grew up in a hotbed of skateboarding (Santa Cruz, Ca.). I relate to all the things in that video, but I mostly relate to The Stoke.

The Stoke - or what many call "Passion" - is something that seems to tie these young skaters together. 

Stories of them crashing, getting up, doing the trick over and over for hours until they nailed it. Tales of Rodney Mullen getting up at 2am in the morning, telling the rest of the boys that he's "going skating" and coming back with dozens of new tricks at dawn.

The drive that these youngsters had was fuel for the fire. Stacey Peralta guided and mentored them, making sure that the fame and money didn't go to their head. He kept them humble and drove the desire to progress.

This leaves me with a question: Is Passion a Learned Behavior?

I'm thinking of my parents, who encouraged and supported me to put my 100% into everything I got into. When I started riding freestyle BMX, they did everything they could to get me what I needed to get better. Same goes with karate, music, etc.

I also think of those who may not have such a supporting family, but have friends and spouses that do the same. It's like they are just as stoked for you (if not more) than you are for yourself... cheering and loving you every step of the way. I still get a gigantic grin whenever I see top-level athletes do the unimaginable, and stand their while fans and friends envelope them in cheers, hugs, arms raised in victory - as if they completed the feat themselves.

Conversely, I think of those who have no passion - for anything. What makes those people so un-passionate? Whether it's riding a bike, surfing, yo-yo or scrapbooking... I have a hard time imagining a life without passion.

They seem to make excuses like "I'm busy" or "no money", etc. but I feel that those are just excuses. I'm as busy and tight on finances as the next person... but nothing gets me more stoked than thinking about my next ride.

What do you guys think? Can you look back and find the source of your passion that keeps you going? Where did you get you get your passionate drive from?

Please leave a comment and lend my your thoughts!

Source: http://www.dionridesbikes.com/2013/01/is-passion-learned-behavior.html

BMX bike games BMX forum winstanelys BMX colony BMX wethepeople BMX

No comments:

Post a Comment