Saturday, May 26, 2012

Sea Otter Race Report and The New Vintage KHS


Trying my best to HTFU at the finish line

Today was my first MTB race - and what better place to pop my MTB race cherry than Sea Otter? If you haven't experienced the glory of the Sea Otter Classic (and you like bicycles) you are missing quite the show. From dirt jumping, trials, cyclocross, dual slalom, road racing, cross-country, short circuit... they definitely have something for everyone. Biggest complaint was that you are nickel'ed-and-dime'd everywhere you turn, but that is usually a given with an event like this.

A couple of months ago, the guys from Team Social Pace and I decided we were going to sign up for the cross-country race. I had my reservations, given my sorry experience with cyclocross racing - but I really, really enjoy MTB riding, so I figured this would be more to my liking.

I got a decent start, considering I was jammed all the way in the back of the line-up, and I kept my pace throughout the 16 mile course. I forgot to turn on my Garmin, so I don't have the stats for what really went down, but I think I was able to maintain my heart rate at an average of 163 bpm.

In the beginning, the course was incredibly foggy, and it was difficult to navigate through the fire road descents. I saw a handful of guys bomb past me - so in the future I will take more time in scouting the course and becoming accustomed to it.

I had three significant newbie mistakes:

1) In my attempt at being courteous to others in faster categories, I waved by a few riders in my class, not seeing that I did until they were gone. Fortunately, I passed them on some of the climbs in the next few miles.

2) I crashed. Again, as I was letting riders go, someone from the faster group hooked handlebars with me and we both went down. That cost me some time.

3) I had a strange, cross-chaining situation that I had to pull over and rectify. That cost me time.

In the end, I finished 50 out of 62 in Cat3, 35-39 - which I am content with. I guess you can say it is the "front of the back of the pack".

I think I like MTB racing more than cyclocross. CX just frustrated me, but MTB was a little more satisfying - best of all, I had friends there who were spread out in other classes - and afterward we got to meet up, congratulate each other, and enjoy the camaraderie.

Until next year?

My Fairy Princess Bike

I don't know what's wrong with me.

Really... for some reason I had a wild-hair to find a steel (preferably lugged), vintage MTB. After dealing with some weirdos on Craigslist, I finally found something that I liked - a 1988 KHS Montana Pro.

I made some arrangements with the seller to meet in Mountain View, Ca. and purchase it for $85 - thinking that it would need some serious work. However, when I met with her, I discovered it was in pristine condition. She was the original owner, and all the parts were original except the tires. It is built with Tange steel, and constructed with triple butted chromoly - completely bathed in appropriate late 80's teal and purple color scheme.

Well, obviously, I couldn't leave it alone, so I did some minor mods, a gearing change to make it more practical by today's standards, and added more color. It rides beautifully!

Before
Now, it is my Fairy Princess Bike... and this man, is not afraid to bust out on the trail every so often. 

After

Source: http://www.dionridesbikes.com/2012/04/sea-otter-race-report-and-new-vintage.html

BMX games online BMX bikes for sale we the people BMX BMX bike BMX game

No comments:

Post a Comment