Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Sea Otter Recon Mission Ride Report and more on the On-One 456...

I know I should have been at Church on Sunday (Palm Sunday) but I went on a April Fool's Recon Mission with Ken and Newton instead. This ride was to specifically investigate the Sea Otter course and see how to plan it out for race day.

This was my first time riding Laguna Seca, and I have to say that it was actually pretty awesome. TONS of land to be ridden and a few really fun single track sections. But the land is so vast and so intertwined, you can really get lost out there.

The Sea Otter course for the Cat3 (Fat3 is what I call it for myself) is actually not as punishing as I thought it would be. Yes, there is some cranked-out climbing, but there are also a lot of recovery sections and fast, pinned flat areas. I am especially excited about the single track sections, because if it dries out more, it will be rail'able, which is definitely my riding strengths.

This is a pretty nasty, very sandy downhill section where I simply unclipped, hung my right foot out and slid down it - somehow managing to keep it upright. You can see, Ken decided to run down it. I foresee some epic crashes on this section.


I am racing with a CamelBak, which I never wear when I ride. I don't want to fiddle with trying to grab the water bottle while I'm tapped out, and I know I may blast through one water bottle - so I'm choosing to race with 35-40 ounces in the bladder. The CamelBak worked well and I think it should be great for the 16 mile course.



Back to the On-One 456...

This bike is totally different with the new 400mm seat post installed. With proper leg extension on my downstroke when pedaling, it is now an efficient climber (to a certain extent). It is not, by any means, near the efficiency of a true XC bike, but for all mountain riding, I have to say that I am enjoying it quite a bit. The technical climbs are simply a blast and railing on double tracks with jumps and other fun things is what this bike does really, really well.

I still think that maybe an 18" would be more to my liking, but the 16" with the long flagpole sticking out of the seat post tube seems to be just fine.

If you are in that strange "average" height category (5'9" - 5'10") I would advise to try riding a friend's 456 before ordering a frame. I really think I would've went with an 18" if I had the opportunity to try one for fit. For your reference, I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam.

Source: http://www.dionridesbikes.com/2012/04/sea-otter-recon-mission-ride-report-and.html

alans BMX ride BMX BMX museum BMX bike games BMX forum

No comments:

Post a Comment